This 13-day program is designed to cover key syllabus areas from the current HSC Ancient History syllabus.
The program has been developed in conjunction with Dr Jennifer Lawless who will be travelling with the group for the duration of the tour. Jennifer will be providing a number of lectures throughout the itinerary, as well as providing a detailed workbook with teaching notes and ideas for applying the learning to the classroom.
The tour begins in the capital city of Cairo where the group will explore the Museum of Egyptian Antiquities and visit the nearby sites of Saqqara. Marvel at the Great Pyramids of Giza before crossing the Nile to discover the ancient wonders of Akhetaten (Amarna). In Luxor, tour the Valley of the Kings and tombs of the Nobles. The group will then fly back to Cairo for an evening before the flight home.
HSC Ancient History
The Investigation of Ancient Sites & Sources
The Representation of the Ancient Past
Preservation, Conservation & Reconstruction of Ancient Sites
Cultural Heritage & the Role of Museums
The Treatment & Display of Human Remains
Features of Ancient Societies – Egypt
Case studies: Old Kingdom Egypt, Tutankhamun’s tomb, Deir el Medina
• New Kingdom Egypt Society to the Death of Amenhotep III
• New Kingdom Egypt Society during the Ramesside period
• New Kingdom Egypt to the Death of Thutmos IV
• New Kingdom Egypt – Amenhotep III to the Death of Ramesses II
13-day itinerary (including travel)
11th – 23rd January, 2020
3 nights Cairo
2 nights Minya
4 nights Luxor
1 night Cairo
Download the itinerary booklet for a detailed daily schedule.
Tour leader: Dr Jennifer Lawless
Dr Jennifer Lawless has a PhD from the University of New England and was the Board of Studies History Inspector for 13 years. She has lectured in History education at Sydney, Macquarie and Western Sydney Universities and has authored/co-authored over a dozen books on History.
- Return international economy class airfares with Etihad Airways
- One way economy class airfare Luxor-Cairo
- All hotel accommodation (minimum 3-star rated) in twin-share rooms with ensuite facilities
- All breakfasts and dinners
- All land transportation by private coach and public transport
- All entrance fees as per itinerary
- Local guides, lectures and guided tours as per itinerary
- Services of a tour manager and tour leader
- Academy Travel document wallet and luggage tag
- Detailed workbook prepared by Dr Jennifer Lawless