The itinerary begins in Athens, with guided visits to the city’s top museums and ancient sites before travelling north to consult the Oracle of Delphi. The group will then journey to the Peloponnese to investigate the history of Olympia, Pylos, Sparta and Mycenae. The tour concludes on the beautiful island of Crete to focus on the Minoans.
This carefully planned program will be escorted by an experienced tour manager and academic expert Dr Jennifer Lawless who will provide background lectures and facilitate collegial discussions on best teaching practice. In addition, the itinerary includes a series of guided tours and site visits with experts. There is also time at leisure for sightseeing, shopping and soaking up the local culture.
If you would like to add your name to the expression of interest list for the next tour departure, please contact us.
This 13-day program is designed to cover key learning outcomes from the HSC and VCE Ancient History syllabuses.
View the itinerary for detailed syllabus mapping.
13 days with 3 nights in Athens, 1 night in Delphi, 1 night in Olympia, 1 night in Pylos, 1 night in Sparta, 2 nights in Mycenae and 3 nights in Heraklion (Crete).
Tour leader: Dr Jennifer Lawless
Dr Jennifer Lawless has a PhD from the University of New England and was the Board of Studies History Inspector for 13 years. She has lectured in History education at Sydney, Macquarie and Western Sydney Universities and has authored/co-authored over a dozen books on History.
- All hotel accommodation (minimum 3-star rated) in twin-share rooms with ensuite facilities
- All breakfasts and 8 dinners
- Return economy flight Athens-Heraklion with local airline
- All land transportation by private coach and public transport
- All entrance fees as per itinerary
- Local guides, lectures and guided tours as per itinerary
- Services of a tour manager and tour leader
- Academy Travel document wallet and luggage tag
- Detailed workbook prepared by Dr Jennifer Lawless