The itinerary begins in Rome, where our experts will guide the group through the sites of the Colosseum, Roman Forum, Campus Martius and Ostia Antica. Participants will also visit key museums, including the Capitoline and Palazzo Massimo to view extensive collections of primary sources from ancient Rome.
In the Bay of Naples, the group will be accompanied by renowned Australian archaeologist Dr Estelle Lazer. Dr Lazer will provide background lectures on the key syllabus dot points in the Cities of Vesuvius core study and lead tours of the excavations in the region.
For those electing to continue to Sicily, you will view the remnants of Magna Grecia in Siracusa, Agrigento, Palermo and Taormina.
This carefully planned program will be escorted by an experienced tour manager and include a series of guided tours, on site visits with experts and workshops, alongside time for sightseeing, shopping and soaking up the local cultures.
PLEASE NOTE: We do not currently have a future departure date scheduled for this tour. If you would like to add your name to the expression of interest list, please contact us.
This program is designed to cover key learning areas from the HSC and VCE Ancient History syllabuses. The focus is on the HSC Ancient History core study of the Cities of Vesuvius.
View the itinerary for detailed syllabus mapping.
Rome and the Cities of Vesuvius – 11 days with 5 nights in Rome and 5 nights in Sorrento.
Sicily extension – 7 days with 1 overnight ferry, 2 nights Palermo, 1 night Agrigento, 2 nights Siracusa and 2 nights Taormina.
Download the itinerary booklet for a detailed daily schedule.
Academy Travel works with a number of academics and archaeologists to develop the most relevant and up-to-date Ancient History programs for teachers.
Academic expert in the Bay of Naples: Dr Estelle Lazer
Estelle is an internationally renowned archaeologist whose research has been on the skeletal remains found at Pompeii. Her work on the casts of Pompeii is currently ongoing where she is using new technologies, such as x-ray and CT scanning. Estelle will be with the group throughout the time in the Bay of Naples to share her knowledge through site visits and background lectures.
- All hotel accommodation (twin-share, private bathroom)
- All land transportation
- All breakfasts
- Some dinners, as per itinerary
- Entrances to sites, guided tours and lectures, as per itinerary
- Tipping for included services
- Services of a tour manager and academic experts
- Extension only: overnight ferry Naples-Palermo, one way economy flight Catania-Rome including taxes and fuel surcharges
- Services of an expert tour leader/manager
- Eight live performances, followed by critical analysis
- Two workshops/open rehearsals
- All entrance fees, guided tours, workshops and concerts
- All tipping for included services
- Travel wallet and luggage tag